Creamy Pasta with Asparagus & Bacon

 Creamy Pasta with Asparagus and Bacon

I went out to lunch with my dad the other day, then took a side trip to Aldi. My dad has been telling me about low prices for years, but to be honest I haven't been in an Aldi store since the turn of the century (and isn't that fun to say?!). When I got there I was surprised by the abundance of fresh produce they have and the shockingly low prices. 

Creamy Pasta with Asparagus & Bacon

At $0.99/pound I bought two pounds of fresh strawberries, three packages of jalapeños, a bag of avocados, a nice bunch of cilantro and a big bag of the best asparagus to make a batch of Strawberry Margarita Jam. I saw. Considering my car was full and I had three bags of food ready, I wasn't expecting to get a coin from my twenties.

Creamy Pasta with Asparagus & Bacon

In the end I had more asparagus than I expected, so I had to research the recipes, I was able to come up with this. I have no idea its origin but I made it for dinner yesterday and groaned at the flavor. This is restaurant quality stuff. Plus, the prep work I did earlier in the day, including poaching the asparagus and cooking the pasta, came together in minutes.

Creamy Pasta with Asparagus and Bacon


  • 4 ounces bow tie pasta
  • 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon chicken soup base (I use L.B. Jamison)
  • 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 6 thin speared asparagus, blanched, cut diagonally into 2" pieces
  • 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 tablespoons roasted pine nuts
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to garnish.
  • Prepare the bowtie pasta according to package directions.

Melt the butter in a 9" skillet. Add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute.

Stir the Parmesan cheese and soup base until blended, and then gradually stir in the heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked pasta to the cream sauce and toss until the pasta is coated. Fold the asparagus. Sprinkle with bacon, pine nuts, parsley, and additional Parmesan cheese if desired. Serve now.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post