BOREDOM AT THE BEACH

Summer is finally here!  This means one thing…its time to hit the beach!  I know a vacation in the sun and sand sounds relaxing, yet this relaxation can soon turn to boredom.  This is why whenever I head to the beach for a break I try to find things to keep me busy.  The typical beach activities are always nice;  reading, swimming, sun bathing, and just simply strolling the beach.  Even with all the classic activities, I sill get jaded by the second day.  This is why I like to spend one day doing something a bit more stimulating.


Florida Beaches


Having grown up in Florida, heading to the beach for a family vacation was always a yearly tradition.  Every Labor Day my family and I head to Longboat Key on the Gulf of Mexico.  Every year we look forward to lounging about in the sun, however it gets too hot to sunbath for hours on end.  So, one of our favorite things to do is collect seashells.  In Longboat Key there is a sand bar close to shore and every year we snorkel for sand dollars.  One year we found hundreds of dead sand dollars on the sand bar!  I enjoy shelling so much, that one time on a trip to Clearwater we actually took a tour that took us to an island to hunt for seashells.  It was a fun way to mix up the usual humdrum at the beach.

Fun in Jamaica


Another family vacation I took was in the Caribbean; while there we toured the Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman, Cancun, and Jamaica.  After spending several days on the beach, we were excited to partake in a different island activity.  So, while in Jamaica we zip lined through forest canopies.  It was so much fun soaring through the trees.  One of the lines was a bit scary because it went straight down!  But, it was a short one and there was someone at the bottom to help.  So, not to worry.  I loved zip lining in Jamaica, it is one of my most memorable experiences I had while in the Caribbean!

Going to the beach is one of my most favorite things to do; I just love the ocean!  For this reason, I have looked up some of the world’s most famous beaches that I would like to visit one day.

Sunset in Rio de Janeiro (Flickr by knivesout)
Sunset in Rio de Janeiro (Flickr by knivesout)

Cruising in Rio de Janeiro

One destination that I would like to go to Brazil, especially Rio de Janeiro.  One of my best friends, Stephanie, studied abroad in Argentina and during her travels she went to Rio.  After hearing about her time there, it made me want to vacation in Brazil.  While in Rio de Janeiro Stephanie traveled to the tropical isalnds off the coast. After listening to her stories and seeing her beautiful pictures, I too wanted to vacation there.

Ibiza

With my travels in Europe I have heard many stories about which tropical paradise to visit and none have been mentioned more than Ibiza.  So, of course I have to add this to my list of places to go.  Instead of just lying on the beach and partying I will partake in a leisure day cruise of Ibiza and some of its neighboring islands.  One of my favorite things to do while on vacation at a beach it to take a boat cruise because it is a fun way to see the entire coast line.  A boat tour is a great way to break the mold and do something exciting while vacationing.



During my study abroad time in London my mom was going  to visit.  She has already been to the major cities in Europe and wanted to go somewhere off the beaten track and she heard that Croatia is beautiful.  So, my mom and I started looking up things to do while there.  The tour I was most excited about was the kayaking tour around Dubrovik’s City Walls. It sounded like a fun way to see the beautiful coastline of Croatia.  Sadly, we never got to go to Croatia because the week long break I was supposed to have between classes was canceled.  But,  I am sure I will make it to Croatia someday!

Don’t let boredom on the beach strike you this summer!  An easy way to make sure this doesn’t happen to you is to schedule day trip around the beach city.  Not only is it fun, but it is a wonderful way to experience something you have never done before.    And isn’t the purpose of your travels to escape the every day?
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post